HOW TO INSTALL
Read the instructions or watch our 60-second installation video:
STEP 1: CLEAN & DRY
- For strong adhesion, the contact surface needs to be clean and dry. Start by wiping your furniture with a damp cloth to remove any dust and dirt. Dry with a clean cloth or allow to air dry.
- Now use the isopropyl alcohol cleaning wipe supplied with your order to clean the surface of the furniture where the panel is going to be applied. Allow to air dry or wipe with clean, dry cloth.
- Using an erasable pencil, mark where the Styl-Panel will affix to your furniture. (In most cases, you can simply position the panel by eye, but measuring ensures perfection!)
- On the back of the Styl-Panel, peel off the protective paper from the adhesive tape.
- Position the Styl-Panel into place and gently press.
- The bond will be instant. On most surfaces, clamping or taping is not required, so it's important to position the panel correctly the first time.
STEP 4: ADMIRE YOUR WORK!
- Email us some photos (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tag us on online (#stylkea) so that we can admire your work too!
Which adhesives work best?
We tested all sorts of adhesives and settled on permanent-strength double-sided tape.
The bond is strong and instant. There's no bleeding or dripping, no smelly solvents and no mess to clean up.
It also means that your Styl-Panels come ready to peel-and-stick. It's that easy!
If you would prefer to use your own adhesive, let us know in the order notes that you want your panels delivered without tape. We suggest that you use a construction adhesive that is specifically designed for paint and laminate surfaces. Always follow the manufacturer's safety instructions.
Semi-permanent adhesives do not provide a good enough bond for durable, great looking results.
Our Paint-It-Yourself Guide
Our foamed PVC panels may be installed as supplied (pure white) or painted with acrylic paint (also known as water-based or latex paint) without the need for primer. Please note that oil-based paint (also known as enamel paint) is NOT suitable.
Our aluminium composite panels come ready to hang and are not designed to be painted.
Painting Instructions for FPVC Styl-Panels
STEP 1: CLEAN THE PANEL
- Thoroughly clean the panel with the isopropyl alcohol cleaning wipe supplied with your order. This removes any oils that might interfere with bonding.
- Allow to dry.
- Place the panel on a clean, flat working surface, such as a piece of cardboard. (IKEA packaging works perfectly!)
- Use only acrylic (water-based) paint.
- Use a spray can for best results.
- There's no need for an undercoat.
- Apply paint lightly. Three to four light coats is better than one to two thick ones.
- Be careful to cover the edges.
- Follow the paint manufacturer’s instructions and drying times.
- When the paint is fully cured, the panel is ready for installation!
Can you use chalk paint? Yes, but we recommend using a spray can as tinned chalk paint tends to go on too thick. We've had great results using Rustoleum's Chalked Ultra Matte spray cans.
Adding or swapping handles is one of the easiest ways to update a piece of furniture. But some IKEA pieces, such IKEA's Malm bedroom storage range, do not come with handles. In those instances, here's how to mark, measure, drill and attach your new handles. You can view the full tutorial here.
Some of our Styl-Panel designs obscure the pre-drilled handle hole in the furniture door/drawer front - see product descriptions for details. But don't let that stop you adding a handle. Our Styl-Panels (metal and foamed PVC) are very easy to drill after application.
After sticking the Styl-Panel to the door/drawer front, use an electric drill and correctly sized drill bit (usually 3/16"), to drill through the Styl-Panel from the back of door using the existing handle hole. Use a steady amount of pressure - the panels are only 3 mm thick and do not take much effort to penetrate.
The trick is to make a stable "sawhorse" from items you have around the house - stack of books or stools etc. Just make sure you put down something soft (eg. towels or newspaper) to protect the Styl-Panel from getting scratched.
Go to our FAQ page or feel welcome to email us at HELLO@STYLKEA.COM.